The Commission's principal objective is to encourage and assist eligible members of the community to enrol on the State Electoral Roll and to vote at State and other elections or referenda conducted by the Commission.
It is the responsibility of the Commission to ensure elections are conducted in a timely manner with complete impartiality, efficiency and effectiveness and in accordance with the Electoral Act 1907, the Referendum Act 1983, the Industrial Relations Act 1979 and the Local Government Act 1995, together with rules and regulations of individual organisations.
The Commission has established a reputation of excellence in electoral administration. To maintain this position it is essential that the Commission continues to provide a fair, responsive and quality service at all times.
This Code reinforces the principles that help preserve our reputation and applies to all staff and contractors working for the Western Australian Electoral Commission.
Code of Ethics
All Western Australian Electoral Commission (WAEC) staff must familiarise themselves with the WA Public Sector Code of Ethics issued in February 2008. The Code of Ethics is binding on all WAEC staff including casual and election staff, as public sector employees who are expected to use the Code as a guide to their decision making when confronted with ethical dilemmas.
The Code of Ethics was designed to serve as a foundation on which public sector bodies can base their own code of conduct. It sets out values and behaviours under the principles of Personal Integrity, Relationships with Others and Accountability. These principles provide a guide on how public sector bodies and employees should address ethical issues which may arise in their everyday work. It has been primarily designed for the purpose of promoting and building a better public sector. The objective is to enhance the status of, and increase the public's trust and confidence in the public sector.
Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct and associated Guidelines support the principles of the Code of Ethics.
- We will comply with this Code of Conduct and Guidelines and all other relevant legislation and follow WAEC policies, notices, practices and procedures. We will also respect the practices and procedures of workplaces visited during the course of our work.
- We will act honestly, impartially and fairly and exercise due care and diligence in the performance of our duties.
- We will maintain security of electoral documents and secrecy of ballot papers.
- In order to preserve the integrity and impartiality of the Commission, we will formally declare our political neutrality.
- Confidentiality of information must at all times be respected. Information and material collected while performing duties is the property of the WAEC and must be kept securely. We will exercise due sensitivity in the use of such information, taking into account the nature of the material and the purpose for which it was collected, and will use the material only in connection with our duties as employees of the Commission.
- We will avoid situations where our personal interests are in conflict with those of the WAEC. By openly declaring any interests and ensuing actions are impartial in deed and appearance, perceptions of compromise can be minimised.
- Acceptance of gifts, favours or hospitality could be seen as an inducement and, other than minor tokens of appreciation, will be politely refused.
- We will not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, family status and responsibility, sexuality, religion, political belief or impairment.
- We will respect the rights of the individual and will treat each other courteously. Harassment of any kind is unacceptable.
- We will exercise courtesy, consideration and sensitivity when providing services to our customers or dealing with stakeholders.
To be recognised for excellence and as a leader in electoral administration.
To conduct elections, maintain the electoral roll and raise public awareness of electoral matters.
Professional - How we go about our Work
At all times we act with integrity and independence, are ethical, transparent and work to the highest standards
We are civil, courteous, credible and value others.
We strive to understand our customers' needs, honour our commitments, build long term relationships and foster good communication.
We build a positive work environment through teamwork, At all times we act with integrity and independence, are ethical, transparent and work to the highest standards.
We strive to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of everything we do through innovation, learning and development.